Written by: Kelly Oliver | Photography by Ethan Gaskill
The holidays are a perfect time to embrace the season’s trends in style, whether you are choosing what to wear to the party of the year, or shopping for something special for your bestie. I get the most gratification when I can play up trends with items that will have some shelf life in my closet. Here’s a list of my favorite things to keep in mind while wardrobing this season:
1) Feminine florals reign supreme now and through spring so don’t hesitate to get your print on. I love the ditzy print blouses that feel like a watercolor masterpiece. Wear solo or juxtapose with a chunky knit.
2) Crop it! Let your shoes (and even socks!) shine with hemlines that keep creeping up. Whether it’s a beautiful pair of silk pants or worn-in vintage looking jeans, crop is king.
3) Opulent fabrics. Velvet and faux fur are dominating the fashion scene this season. I especially love to see them worn casually, like a velvet jean with sneakers, or a little fur peeking out of an everyday loafer.
4) Layer it up. I love the look of layers and our fluctuating local climate makes it a practical choice! Start with your lightest layer and pile ‘em up. Think thin
turtleneck under a chunkier sweater, or button-down shirt under a long cozy cardigan. Or even take a slip dress into the colder months by layering over a long sleeve tee or pair of jeans.
5) It’s all in the details… while fresh silhouettes are beginning to permeate the denim world, skinny is still here to stay. Keep things interesting with novel details like a frayed hemline or tuxedo stripe.
6) Get your vintage on! Rigid (non-stretch) high rise denim is back in the game and playing to win. It takes a little wear to get that worn-in feel, but the flattering, effortlessly cool end result is well worth the wait.