Red Miso Pumpkin Soup // recipe and photo provided by True Blue Butcher & Table
5-7 Pounds of Heirloom or pie Pumpkins
1 Cup Red Miso Pastes
2 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Medium yellow onion small dice
3 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger 2 Quarts Vegetable stock
1 1⁄2 Cups Granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Cup Apple Juice
1 Cup Orange Juice
Salt and White Pepper to taste
Ginger Scallion Sauce for Garnish
Togarashi For Garnish
1. Peel and quarter pie or heirloom pumpkins until you acquire 3 pounds of usable product.
2. Bring large pot of water to a boil and cook pumpkin for 12 minutes until soft but not mushy.
3. On a baking sheet, smash pumpkin until evenly dispersed and smear 1 cup of red miso paste, bake pumpkin and miso at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
4. In a large soup kettle saute 2 tablespoons garlic, 1 medium yellow onion small diced, 3 tablespoons grated ginger until fragrant.
5. Remove roasted pumpkin from baking sheet and add to soup kettle with 2 quarts vegetable stock and 2 quarts water, simmer for 1 hour.
6. Add 11⁄2 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 cup of apple juice and 1 cup of orange juice.
7. Allow to cool for 1 hour, then puree in blender or with a hand blender until smooth.
8. Season to taste with salt and white Pepper.
Ginger Scallion Sauce
1⁄2 Cup thinly sliced scallions (greens and whites; from 1 to 2 large bunches)
1⁄2 Cup finely minced peeled fresh ginger
1⁄4 Cup grapeseed or other neutral oil
1⁄2 Teaspoon usukuchi (light soy sauce)
3⁄4 Teaspoon sherry vinegar
3⁄4 Teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
Mix together the scallions, ginger, oil, soy, vinegar, and salt in a bowl. Taste and check for salt, adding more if needed. Though it’s best after 15 or 20 minutes of sitting, ginger scallion sauce is good from the minute it’s stirred together up to a day or two in the fridge.
To serve, place 11⁄2 cups of warm soup in bouillon cup and garnish with 1 tablespoon of Ginger Scallion Sauce , 1⁄2 teaspoon togarashi, and 1-2 ounces of jumbo lump crab meat.